Egypt in transition – Sunday 13 February

(guardian.co.uk) 5.03pm: Here’s a summary of events so far today:

Egypt’s new military announced that they are dissolving the parliament and suspending the constitution (2.08pm). They said they will run the country for six months or until presidential and parliamentary elections can be held. A further communique is expected today in which the military leaders are expected to announce curbs on strikes and “chaos and disorder”. (3.14pm)

Prime minister Ahmed Shafiq said the current cabinet, appointed by Hosni Mubarak, would remain in place to oversee the transition to democracy.

There were scuffles as the army tried to force protesters to leave Tahrir Square (10.24am). Soldiers tore down tents in the square and some used sticks against people. But a number of protesters refused to leave and others streamed into the square to join them (11.07am) and maintain the pressure for all their demands for reform to be met.

Read more: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/feb/13/egypt-transition

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: