Archive

Wikileaks

(gawker.com) Life can be difficult when your vehicle has a huge Wikileaks logo and “Top Secret Mobile Collection Unit” emblazoned on the side. An artists’ Wikileaks-themed U-Haul truck is missing after being confiscated by the NYPD.

The Wikileaks truck has been a fixture at Manhattan’s Occupy Wall Street protest since day one, provoking puzzled reactions from media, cops and tourists alike. Unfortunately, Julian Assange hasn’t been secretly crashing in the flatbed; it’s a project by New York-based artist/activist Clark Stoeckley. Stoeckley says he has no connection to the Wikileaks folks. He’s been driving the thing around the country since March, filming his exploits, and for most of the past two months it’s been parked down at Zuccotti Park, where it sheltered him and fellow occupiers.

But last Thursday morning—the morning of Occupy Wall Street’s big day of action—Stoeckly was pulled over on Broadway and Cedar Street near Zuccotti Park. The cops used the fact that his license plate was crooked, and that he turned on his windshield wipers without his lights as pretense to pull him over, Stoeckley told us in a phone interview. (New York law requires drivers to use headlights “whenever you are using your windshield wipers to clear rain, snow, sleet, etc.”)

Read more: http://gawker.com/5861916/nypd-loses-the-occupy-wall-street-wikileaks-truck

(AFP) WASHINGTON — WikiLeaks released a mysterious encrypted file on Wednesday after telling its followers on Twitter to stand by for “an important announcement.”

WikiLeaks did not identify the contents of the 571 megabyte file and it could not be opened without a decryption key, which the anti-secrecy website said would be released “at the appropriate moment.”

(…)

The release of the latest mystery file comes just days after WikiLeaks published more than 130,000 US diplomatic cables from what it says is a cache of more than 251,000 documents.

Without confirming the authenticity of the latest documents, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the United States “strongly condemns any illegal disclosure of classified information.

(…)

The New York Times reported that the latest dump of 133,887 confidential and secret documents included many containing the names of sensitive sources who could be at risk of reprisals if they were known to be talking to US diplomats.

In a message on its Twitter page, however, WikiLeaks said it was “totally false” that any of its “sources have been exposed or will be exposed.”

Read more: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/08/31/wikileaks-releases-mystery-file/

(dailybail.com) With BAC stock trading under $8, the damage is already done, but we at least now know why the files were never released.

FT

Bank of America may just have dodged a bullet when it comes to the stash of its confidential information that was said last year to be in the hands of Wikileaks.  After an internal feud, a break-away member of Wikileaks has told Spiegel Online that he has destroyed information that he took from the organisation – and Wikileaks itself says that includes 5 gigabytes of information from Bank of America.

Der Spiegel

Tensions between WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange and ex-spokesman Daniel Domscheit-Berg have escalated. According to information obtained by SPIEGEL, the former deputy destroyed thousands of unpublished documents entrusted to WikiLeaks. The information they contained appears to be lost forever.

Former WikiLeaks spokesman Daniel Domscheit-Berg claims to have destroyed more than 3,500 unpublished files obtained from unknown informants. The information they contained is now apparently lost, irrevocably. The documents in question were stored on the WikiLeaks server until late summer 2010, when Domscheit-Berg left the organization , taking the files with him upon his departure.

Now Domscheit-Berg says that these documents were “shredded over the past few days in order to ensure that the sources are not compromised.” WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange could not guarantee safe handling of the documents, he says.

Source: http://dailybail.com/home/long-awaited-wikileaks-secret-bank-of-america-files-have-bee.html

(electronicintifada.net) The US administrations of Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama were set on developing deep “military to military” ties with the Libyan regime of Muammar Gaddafi, classified US diplomatic cables released by Wikileaks on 24 August reveal.

The United States was keen to integrate Libya as much as possible into “AFRICOM,” the American military command for Africa which seeks to establish bases and station military forces permanently on the continent.

“We never would have guessed ten years ago that we would be sitting in Tripoli, being welcomed by a son of Muammar al-Qadhafi,” Senator Joseph Lieberman (Ind.-CT) said during an August 2009 meeting, which also included Senators John McCain and Susan Collins.

The records confirm that McCain, the Republican presidential candidate in 2008, strongly supported US arms sales to Libya and personally pledged to Muammar Gaddafi (also spelled “al-Qadhafi”) and his son Muatassim that he would push to get such transfers approved by Congress. McCain also revealed that the United States was training officers in Gaddafi’s army.

While the Americans pursued the relationship vigorously, they met with a cautious and sometimes “mercurial” response from the Libyans. In particular, the mistrustful Libyans wanted security guarantees that the Americans appeared reluctant to give.

“We can get [equipment] from Russia or China,” Muatassim told the visiting senators, “but we want to get it from you as a symbol of faith from the United States.”

In hindsight, given the US support for the NATO war against the Gaddafi regime, it is not difficult to understand why the Libyans wanted these guarantees.

Nevertheless, Gaddafi received high praise for his “counterterrorism” credentials from US officials.

The documents also reveal that the United States was keen to court Gaddafi’s sons, flying them to the United States for high level visits.

And, notably, none of the cables regarding high level meetings quoted in this post made any mention of American concerns about “human rights” in Libya. The issue never appeared on the bilateral agenda.

Does the removal of the Gaddafi regime now clear the way for the United States to pursue the plans for integrating Libya into AFRICOM under what the Americans must hope will be a pliable regime?

Read more: http://electronicintifada.net/blog/ali-abunimah/did-wikileaks-just-reveal-us-blueprint-libya

(wired.com) Federal agents arrested 14 suspected Anonymous members Tuesday on charges of participating in denial-of-service attacks against online payment service provider PayPal.

Five additional suspects were arrested overseas — one in the United Kingdom and four in the Netherlands — for related crimes. The UK arrest was reportedly of “Tflow”, a former member of the hacker group LulzSec, identified by police as a 16-year-old male.

The majority of the individuals were allegedly acting as part of Anonymous, a loosely connected group of online griefers who took credit for denial-of-service attacks last year against PayPal, Visa and Mastercard after the payment service providers announced they would stop processing donations intended for the secret-spilling site WikiLeaks.

In the attacks on the financial-service companies — dubbed Operation Payback — thousands downloaded a tool called the Low Orbit Ion Cannon that joined their computers to the group attack on the target of the moment. However, the tool did nothing to hide a user’s IP address, making it possible for the target website to hand its server logs over to the authorities to track users down by their IP addresses.

According to the indictment, filed in San Jose, California, the attack against PayPal occurred between December 6-10 last year.

The arrested suspects include: Christopher Wayne Cooper, 23, aka “Anthrophobic;” Joshua John Covelli, 26, aka “Absolem” and “Toxic;” Keith Wilson Downey, 26; Mercedes Renee Haefer, 20, aka “No” and “MMMM;” Donald Husband, 29, aka “Ananon;” Vincent Charles Kershaw, 27, aka “Trivette,” “Triv” and “Reaper;” Ethan Miles, 33; James C. Murphy, 36; Drew Alan Phillips, 26, aka “Drew010;” Jeffrey Puglisi, 28, aka “Jeffer,” “Jefferp” and “Ji;” Daniel Sullivan, 22; Tracy Ann Valenzuela, 42; and Christopher Quang Vo, 22. The court has withheld one suspect’s name, presumably because he is younger than 18.

In addition to these, two others were arrested in connection to related crimes. Scott Matthew Arciszewski, 21, was arrested Tuesday in Florida for allegedly hacking the Tampa Bay InfraGuard website in June and uploading three files to the site. He is allegedly the author of a June 21 Twitter postdirected to LulzSec reading “Infragard Tampa has one hell of an exploit,” with links. The tweet was also addressed to the FBI national press office’s Twitter account, ensuring that the bureau wouldn’t miss it.

Read more: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/

(security.cbronline.com) Threatens attack on police over phone hacking and judges over Julian Assange’s proposed extradition. Online hacktivist group Anonymous has said that it would reveal “explosive” secrets to embarrass Metropolitan police and judges in the UK, according to a report by the Guardian.

The group is believed to be angry on the proposed extradition of whistleblower site WikiLeaks founder Julian Assagne. The group wants to target the Met over News International’s phone hacking as well as over the investigation of the murder of teenager Milly Dowler.

A senior member of the group tweeted that Tuesday will be “the biggest day in Anonymous’s history”.

“Everyone brace,” he tweeted. “This will be literally explosive.”

“ATTN Intelligence community: Your contractors have failed you. Tomorrow is the beginning.”

The Guardian also reported, citing a source, that hackers had targeted News International’s server for 30 minutes at a time last week.

“Everyone thinks Interpol will get involved at some point,” the source told the Guardian…

Read more: http://security.cbronline.com/news/12-july-will-be-biggest-day-in-anonymouss-history-hacker-group-warns-120711